The Benefits Of Powerline Adapters
Wi-Fi offers the greatest flexibility to access the web where ever you are in your house but this comes at a price. Speed, security concerns and Wi-Fi dead zones can all leave you feeling frustrated with using in the internet. Using Wi-Fi can mean you are only utilising 60-70% of the speeds your internet connection is capable of due to interference and signal loss. The alternative is network cables trailing around the house, but for most people this isn’t really an option.
There are things you can do to improve your WiFi connection speed by boosting the reception and minimising the interference between the router and your computer. For example, reducing the distance between the router and your computer, or making sure the signal path from the router to the computer is as clear as possible. The greater the distance, the lower your signal strength, and the lower the bandwidth you will get over your network. The signal itself can also be degraded by passing through walls, furniture even near Microwaves. For more information on boosting your Wi-Fi speeds, see here.
Despite the obvious convenience of a Wi-Fi, a wired network using a fast Ethernet port is significantly faster, more secure, lower latency, and has much less risk of interference or of being hacked.
This Verizon video explains the benefits of Wired Connections.
But that isn’t all, some Powerline adapters have additional Wi-Fi functionality. These devices can create Wi-Fi hotspots in your home, extending and boosting the Wi-Fi signal in areas of the house that had previously been Wi-Fi dead zones.
So, Powerline Adapters are not just a Wi-Fi replacement, they can just as easily be used to boost your Wi-Fi network as well, which is especially handy for all mobile devices.
Using a Powerline Adapter in an extension.
A situation I have personally encountered is when you have an extension on an older house, it is quite common for the electrical wiring in the extension to be on a separate circuit, often because the electricians don’t want to touch the existing circuit as then they would be required to bring that up to code. In these circumstances, you might find that your Router is plugged into one circuit and your Powerline adapter into another.
The solution is to use a Powerline Adapter that can create a Wi-Fi hotspot and extend the Wi-Fi signal in to the extension.
Here are just some of the benefits of using powerline adapters:
- Convenience: Powerline adapters allow you to extend your network using the electrical wiring in your home or office, eliminating the need for additional Ethernet cables.
- Reliability: Powerline adapters provide a stable and reliable connection, reducing the risk of network disruptions compared to Wi-Fi.
- Speed: With speeds up to 2000Mbps, powerline adapters can provide fast and efficient data transfer.
- Increased coverage: Powerline adapters can be used to extend your network to areas with poor Wi-Fi coverage, such as basements or attics.
- Easy to set up: Powerline adapters are simple to install and require no additional software or drivers, making them a hassle-free solution for network expansion.
- Compatibility: Powerline adapters are compatible with a wide range of devices, including computers, gaming consoles, smart TVs, and more.
- Cost-effective: Powerline adapters are an affordable alternative to expensive Wi-Fi extenders or running new Ethernet cables.
By using powerline adapters, you can easily expand your network and improve connectivity in your home or office, while enjoying the benefits of a fast, reliable, and secure connection.